The Staves- The Way Is Read [review]


                           If you know me, you'll know that I have fallen absolutely in love with The Staves. They have become one of my favorite bands of all time and I will follow their music until the end of their career. They're great influences on me, and I actually feel a calling for their music in my heart when I need it. Yeah, they're that magical. I came across them through listening to Bon Iver. I've done a review of their previous album 'If I Was', and you can read in detail how their music found me there. 'The Way Is Read' is such a complete experimental turn from 'If I Was' in all the greatest and most creative ways.
                         The Staves have collaborated with NYC-based classical collective ymusic on this album, and this is ymusic's album just as much as it is The Staves'. They compliment each other so well, and come together in ways that I never knew was possible. The Staves being a folk group with great emphasis on harmony, and ymusic being a strictly classical collective with violin, cello, and many wind instruments, they've created such a beautiful work of art that goes straight to my heart when I hear it. I honestly don't know how this album is possible. It's such an ideal album for me and for all those who are lovers of art and music From the album art to the music itself, is all a cohesive body of work that displays beauty, hope, love, struggle, pain, flow, and growing.
                        I'm so glad to know the type of musicians that The Staves are. I didn't think they were so experimental with their sound. It sounds as if they are pushing their bounds and still figuring out who they are, but nowhere close to limiting themselves. 'The Way Is Read' is a complete departure from all of their previous work, but still rooted in the magic that is The Staves. And ymusic, great job. All of your work on the album is A+ perfect. This is an album for the ears, the mind, and the soul.

Comments

Popular Posts