Paradis- Recto Verso review

     
                   Recto Verso is the first studio album by French electronic band Paradis. The band is a two-piece consisting of Simon Mény, and Pierre Rousseau. A close friend of mine introduced me to French pop, and I was immediately hooked. It completely captures all I want about vibey music that also has character. Recto Verso actually means front, and back. Recto meaning front, and verso meaning back. To my surprise, French pop turns out to be the music I've been searching for for awhile without me knowing it. My friend was playing 'Chateau Perdu' by Clea Vincent, and Paradis eventually came on in the shuffle. The album is consistent in sound, vibe, and quality. Paradis gives us a very calm and sexy sound with Recto Verso that begs you to listen, but also to relax. It is a breathe of fresh air from most pop music out there nowadays who are trying to force themselves down your throat. This being Paradis' first studio album, I can honestly say that they will have a long future, I hope. 
                  Paradis being an electronic band, and Recto Verso being a pop album, songs are still very distinguishable and different from one another. Every song seems to have it's own mood and style. Some are more upbeat, while some are slower in tempo which allow you to just get lost in the song. Stand out tracks to me were 'Toi Et Moi', 'Contours', and 'Mieux Que Tout'. Dance is still a major factor of the music, it just doesn;t resemble all typical house music that you would hear in a club. Though I cannot understand the lyrics because they are in French, I can tell which songs are songs of love, of hurt and loss, and of celebration, which makes for great art. Recto Verso has made me a fan of this group, and I look forward to all they have planned for the future. I'm all ears, Paradis.

Comments

Popular Posts