Paramore- After Laughter Review


                             After Laughter is the fifth-studio album from Paramore. Paramore has been through a lot of changes over the past almost-decade. With the return of original drummer Zac Farro, Paramore come back with an incredibly groovy album that sounds like it could've been a product of the 80's. With all the upbeat sounds, the lyrics are painful and filled with hurt. Their new sound is a mix of their first three albums, with the pop sound of their fourth album 'Paramore'. Vocalist Hayley Williams keeps her signature rhythmic way of singing, and also expands on it, giving us styles we've never heard before from the band. After Laughter is incredibly groovy, funky, and a vital piece of their sound is now back that Zac has rejoined the band. Their new sound is like a mix of pop, indie, r&b, and alternative rock. Taylor York has been the guitarist since Josh Farro left back in 2010, and he brings his own influence to the band, but it totally works. He says that Tame Impala is a huge influence on him, and you can totally hear it in the songs.
                         Each song is consistent, smooth, soulful, and authentically relatable. Almost all of the lyrical content has to do with forgiveness, love, reconciliation, pain, and mending. While some of the songs can be mellow and relaxing, the words always come through and connect with you. This is a perfect album title as well because these songs feel like they truly capture what comes after laughter, with songs like 'Fake Happy'. The messages in the songs are heavy and painful, but it absolutely sounds like they needed to come out. If you listen to the lyrics, I think anyone would be able to connect with them because we all secretly feel these things.
                        '26' has one of my favorite lyrics off the album," Hold on to hope if you got it. Don't let it go for nobody. They say that dreaming is free. I wouldn't care what it cost me.". Also in 'Caught in the middle',"I can't think of getting old, it just makes me wanna die. And I can't think of who i've been. It just makes me want to cry.", "I don't need no help. I can sabotage me by myself. Don't need no one else. I can sabotage me by myself.". There is a song called "No Friend" on the album which is a song unlike anything Paramore has ever written before. It's one of my favorites off the album. The album ends with "Tell me how" which is undeniably r&b, and also gives us something we've never really heard from the band before. Paramore has matured a lot, but they still want to have fun and they want their music to be fun so that the listener can enjoy and also learn from it. Ultiamtely, it's a great album. It's pop, but it's dark, heavy, honest, and pure with plenty to gain from. It was a necessary album, and holds much value.

Comments

Popular Posts